Nylon vs Leather Gun Belt: Which is Right For You?
A gun belt is an important piece of equipment for anyone who carries a firearm. There are a variety of different types and styles of gun belts available, but the two most common materials used are leather and nylon. So which one is right for you? Here is some information on the pros and cons of both leather and nylon gun belts.
Leather Gun Belts
Leather gun belts are the oldest kind of gun belts and were, for a time, the only option. As an industry standard, leather gun belts have managed to maintain a certain level of popularity despite newer options being available. They offer many benefits compared to the “more advanced” synthetic belts that are out there while also offering their fair share of disadvantages as well.
Pros of Leather Gun Belts
- Leather gun belts are less conspicuous than their nylon counterparts and can be worn in a much more versatile array of settings.
- Leather gun belts, especially those that contain a steel core, are very strong and can withstand a large amount of weight.
- If you take good care of your leather gun belt and maintain it properly, a high-quality leather belt can last you a lifetime.
Cons of Leather Gun Belts
- Leather gun belts are often very rigid. This can limit your range of motion while wearing it and negatively affect your carry experience.
- Although a high-quality leather gun belt may last for a very long time, this longevity often comes with a heftier price tag.
- The maintenance behind taking care of a leather gun belt is not easy. They require regular care that can be time-consuming at times.
Nylon Gun Belts
Compared to leather gun belts, nylon belts are somewhat of the “new kid on the block.” Nylon gun belts, also referred to as “tactical gun belts,” are gun belts that are made from synthetic materials that are meant to emulate military or police belts. These nylon gun belts are very popular because of the upside of employing them, however, like leather gun belts, they are not without their downsides.
Pros of Nylon Gun Belts
- Nylon gun belts are often less expensive than leather gun belts, allowing easier means of acquiring one.
- A nylon gun belt is also much more adjustable than a leather gun belt which allows for increased comfort while wearing it.
- Not only does the adjustability contribute to their comfort, but the lightweight design of nylon gun belts gives comfortability without sacrificing strength.
Cons of Nylon Gun Belts
- Unlike leather gun belts, nylon gun belts often only come in sizes that are too big for most pants’ belt loops which is an inconvenience for many.
- Nylon gun belts are often not suitable for formal wear, limiting the settings in which you can wear them.
- Repairing a nylon gun belt is often a lost cause and, most times, if a repair is needed, it’s much more practical to simply purchase a new belt altogether.
Hopefully, this has given you a lot to consider when deciding what kind of holster is right for you. Ultimately, the best type of gun belt will depend on your individual needs and preferences. So consider all of your options carefully and choose the type of gun belt that is right for you. If you have any questions along the way, contact Blade-Tech to learn more about gun belts, holsters, or any of our other products.
If you found this helpful, make sure to subscribe to our email newsletter to stay up to date on new product releases and the best deals on Blade-Tech gear.